The Black Collegian Magazine 30th Anniversary Issue
|FROM THE PUBLISHER By Preston Edwards, Sr.||THE EDITOR’S PERSPECTIVE
By Robert Miller
- Build Your Own Life Brand
By Stedman Graham
- Reflections on Success
- William Kennard
Former Chairman, Federal Communications Commission
- Tracey Edmonds
President/CEO, Yab Yum Entertainment
- Vincent T. Cullers
Chairman and CEO, Vince Cullers Advertising, Inc.
- Pamela Thomas-Graham
President/CEO CNBC.com and Executive Vice President of NBC
- Omar Tyree
- Mark Whitaker
Editor of Newsweek
- Rep. Harold Ford, Jr.
Democratic Congressman from Tennessee
- Dr. David Satcher
Surgeon General United States
- Tom Joyner
Host, Tom Joyner Morning Radio Show
- Catherine L. Hughes
Founder and Chairperson of Radio One, Inc.
- At The Top of Their Game: Students Share Success Tips
With Their Peers
By Linda Bates Parker
Industry Reports • • •
- The Hospitality Industry Relishes Fiscal Success
By Steven E. Campbell
- Industry Indicators Show Retailing Future to be Bright
By Thelma Snuggs, Ph.D.
- Explosive Growth Abounds the Telecommunications Industry
By Monica M. Huddleston
Celebrating Our 30th Anniversary • • •
- University Partners
- Advertiser Partners
- Job Opportunities for the Next 30 Years
By Philip D. Gardner, Ph.D.
- Lessons from 30 African Americans Who Have Forged Successful Careers
By Chris B. Bardwell
- Messages of Congratulations
- John W. Marshall
Director, United States Marshals Service
- Congressman James Clyburn
South Carolina, & Chair, Congressional Black Caucus of the United States Congress
- Dr. Mildred J. Hudson
CEO, Recruiting New Teachers, Inc.
- Helen J. Owens
International Grand Basileus, Sigma Gamma Rho Soroity, Inc.
- Robert L. Johnson
Founder, Chairman & CEO, BET Holdings, Inc.
- Tamala Jones
Actress, WB Series “For Your Love”
- Rodney E. Slater
Former U.S. Secretary of Transportation
- Valerie Wilson Wesley
- William W. Sutton, Jr.
Preseident, National Association of Black Journalists
- Carla D. Williams
National President, Jack and Jill of America, Inc.
- The Demographic Profile of African Americans,
1970-71 to 2000-01
By Nicholas A. Jones and James S. Jackson, Ph.D.
- Black America in the 21st Century: Compete or Perish
By Ron Daniels, Ph.D.
- Student Activism in the ’70s and the New Millennium
By Raymond Winbush, Ph.D.
- Thirty Years of Black “Firsts” in Higher Education
By Dr. Russell L. Adams, Ph.D.
- Salute to Other Organizations Celebrating Their 30th Anniversary
By Sharon Daugherty
From the Hearts of Authors • • •
- Binding My Brothers and Sisters… So It Will Get Better
By Sonia Sanchez
- Who Am I?
By Haki Madhubuti
- No Compliants for Gwendolyn Brooks … (1917-2000)
By Nikki Giovanni
Looking Back to Forge Ahead • • •
- The Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, a Memorial to the Civil Rights Struggle
By Dr. Horace Huntley
Special Reports • • •
- Elderly Tennis Phenom Nehemiah Atkinson Spends His Golden Years on the World’s Tennis Courts
By Robert G. Miller
Feature • • •
- Defying the Impossible: Dr. Ruth Simmons
By Lisa A. Crayton
- THE BLACK COLLEGIAN AT 30
By Robert G. Miller
Reaching Out and Helping Others • • •
- Academic Achievement and Economic Power: The Next Civil Rights Frontier
By Hugh Price, President of the National Urban League
- Justice in the 21st Century
By Johnnie L. Cochran, Jr., Noted Attorney
- The NAACP Still Fights for Quality of Life Improvements for People of Color
By Kweisi Mfume, President and CEO, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- The Tradition of Academic Excellence in the African-American Community
By William H. Gray, III, President and CEO, United Negro College Fund, Inc.
- The State of Black America is in Disarray
By Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney
- We Are a People Without a Vision
By Rev. Dr. Al Sharpton, President and CEO, The National Action Network
- Leave No Child Behind
By Marian Wright Edelman, President, Children’s Defense Fund
- The Complexities of Sustaining Community in the New Century
By Dr. Ronald Walters, eminent Political Scientist and Professor, University of Maryland
The Faith Factor • • •
- The Gospel of Division in the Church
By Frederick K.C. price, D.D.
- Put God in Your Life and Become a Leader
By Bishop T.D. Jakes
Departments • • •